HASSELBACK POTATOES - ACCORDION POTATOES
Crunchy on the outside and creamy on the inside
This is a simple recipe, but the video below will be of great assistance.
RECIPE PRINTED FROM: THEGUTSYGOURMET.NET©
INGREDIENTS: SERVES: 4
1. Watch the video below before attempting this recipe. The recipe is quite simple if done closely to the video.
✹ 4 good sized washed and dried potatoes (Yukon Gold, Oregon russet, or Idaho russet) I like Yukon gold for this, they are just creamier! (DO NOT PEEL)
✹ 4 Tablespoon(s) Olive Oil
✹ 4 Tablespoon(s) butter
✹ Sea salt and pepper to season
✚Pre-heat oven to 400ºF
1. Place the potato between two cutting boards. with a very sharp knife slice the potato crosswise into ⅛ inch "leaves", being careful not to go thru the potato,
the cutting boards should stop your knife before you go all the sway through. Slice the potato in this fashion from end to end and then complete the other three.
Place each potato in ice cold water immediately after cutting.
2.. The "leaves" of the potato will open in the ice water so we can take the next step. If they do not, place the potatoes in the Microwave for (4 minutes only) and the
leaves will relax and open,
3.. Put the potatoes in an oven-proof baking dish. Melt the butter and add to the olive oil. Pour the butter/oil mixture into and between the opened leaves. Bake the
potatoes for about 45 minutes. They should just be beginning to get golden.
4. While the potatoes are baking, melt 4 tablespoons of butter, with a clove of garlic, some saffron threads, thyme, rosemary, or any combination of spices you
butter. Be careful with your combinations, and not to get too fancy here. Save your experiments for the next time you make these.
5. When the 45 minutes are up and your potatoes are beginning to brown, remove them from the oven and baste with the above. Strain this mixture so as to leave
the pieces of herbs and garlic out. Spoon this evenly over your potatoes and place them back into the oven until golden on top.
6. Serve as a side to almost any dish or just eat them plain for a great simple supper.
8. Place the frying pan into your Pre-heated oven for about 15 to 20 minutes. Now the potatoes will have soaked up the stock.
1. The topping is up to your imagination. Just don't get too much up there and lose the flavor of the potato.
NOTE: ALTHOUGH NOT THE EXACT RECIPE PRESENTED, THE VIDEO BELOW MIGHT BE OF HELP TO YOU.
U-TUBE VIDEO - HOW TO MAKE HASSELBACK POTATOES
Copyright 2001© - 2014© The Gutsy Gourmet® - All rights reserved