ARMENIAN YALANCHI - VEGETARIAN- APPETIZER
A top Middle Eastern appetizer
The ultimate stuffed grape leaf recipe
Serve this to your guests and be their favorite host………forever!
RECIPE PRINTED FROM: THEGUTSYGOURMET.NET©
ARMENIAN YALANCHI - Vegetarian stuffed grape leaves
✹INGREDIENTS: Makes about 80
• 1 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• 6 cups onion, chopped
• ˝ cup roasted red bell pepper, chopped**SEE COOK'S NOTE** 1
• 2 cups rice
• 1 cup parsley, chopped
• 1 cup water
• 1 tablespoon fresh mint, chopped
• 1 tablespoon fresh sweet basil, chopped
• 1 cup tomato sauce
• 1 cup lemon juice
• 1 tablespoon salt
• 1 tablespoon sugar
• 1 teaspoon black pepper
• Dash cayenne or to taste
• 1 tablespoon dill
• 1 quart grape leaves** (80-100) **SEE COOK'S NOTE 2**
• ˝ teaspoon allspice, optional
• ˝ cup lemon juice
1. In a 4-quart stainless steel roasting pan, saute onions in oil until translucent. Stir often to prevent burning.
2. Add all ingredients except parsley and grape leaves(To be used for wrapping yalanchi) and bring to a boil. Stir, turn heat low and cook, covered, about 15 minutes.
Add parsley and stir. Let cool.
1. Rice mixture should be cooked the day before and allowed to cool
2. Rinse grape leaves and squeeze out water. Remove stem from leaf.
3. Lay each leaf flat dull side up. Place 1-2 teaspoon rice mixture on the leaf, fold sides over filling and roll leaf up.
1. In a deep 5 quart round casserole with lid, Lay some of the unused or torn grape leaves, stems and pieces on the bottom of the casserole to protect the rolled grape
leaves (can use cabbage or lettuce leaves if there are not enough grape leaf scraps. Arrange the rolled grape leaves in the casserole in as many layers as needed. Add
2˝ cups water over the grape leaves, place a crockery plate over the top of the rolled grape leaves and cook in a preheated 375℉ oven until water has almost
absorbed. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
2. Remove yalanchi from the casserole and place in your serving plate. Drizzle good Extra Virgin Olive oil and lemon juice over the top of them. Garnish with thin lemon slices.
1. HOW TO ROAST FRUITS & VEGETABLES *Roasted bell peppers can also be purchased at good supermarkets.
2. **Grape leaves can be purchased in the condiment, pickle section or gourmet section of most good supermarkets.
NOTE: ALTHOUGH NOT THE EXACT RECIPE PRESENTED, THE VIDEO BELOW MIGHT BE OF HELP TO YOU.
U-TUBE VIDEO - Armenian Yalanchi - Stuffed and rolled Grape leaves. (vegetarian)
Copyright 2001© - 2014© The Gutsy Gourmet® - All rights reserved