WHITE CLAM PIZZA PIE - BUZZ'S VERSION
Another version of Pepe’s famous white clam pizza.
RECIPE PRINTED FROM: THEGUTSYGOURMET.NET©
WHITE CLAM PIZZA PIE
INGREDIENTS: Serves 4
◼ 1 14-16 inch Pizza Crust
◼ 3 tablespoons flour
◼ 2 tablespoons cornmeal for sliding on the pizza peel
◼ ½ pound coarsely chopped (1 − 1½ inch pieces of “razor clams” or “butter or Quahog” clams
**SEE COOKS NOTE 1 **
◼ 1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
◼ 2 large cloves garlic, peeled and minced fine
◼ 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
◼ 1 Tablespoon(s) finely chopped rosemary (I use 2 Tablespoon(s) fresh rosemary simmered in the olive oil **SEE COOKS NOTE 2 **
◼ 2 tablespoons dried oregano
◼ ½ to 1 Teaspoon(s) crushed red pepper (optional)
1. Preheat the grill or oven to at least 500℉. I can get my outdoor gas grill up to 750℉ and it works just fine at that temperature.
2. I make my own Pizza dough (But you can buy pizza dough at your grocers, either in pressurized packaging or frozen. My Safeway
store even sells it fresh made and ready to bake. It is a very good dough and works well. Toss the flour on your work surface and spread
it thin. Place the dough in the center and begin working it outward and roll it thin, less than 1/4". Move it to a peel if you are cooking on
a pizza stone or to an oiled pan, either works fine. Throw some cornmeal on the peel or pan to help the dough slide on and off, and for a
bit of flavor.
3. Pat the clams dry and place them on the dough, spreading them out evenly, and take them to within 1½ inch of the edge. Then sprinkle on
the garlic, then the cheese, then the oregano, and finally drizzle on the oil. The oil will puddle up a bit, but it will spread out in the oven.
Brush and paint a little oil on the edges of the dough to crisp up the edges.
4. Bake for about 15-25 minutes until the dough on top and the bottom is tan to golden. If you wish, push your luck and let it go until there
is a slight blackening on the bottom, but, too much char can ruin your pizza. Whatever you do, don't pull out the pizza until the clams are
cooked through. Raw clams, although they are popular on the half-shell, are susceptible to contamination and a common source of
food-borne illness. You will notice what looks to be a lot of oil on the surface while it is cooking, but don't worry, it will be absorbed. You
will also notice a strong smell of garlic. **SEE COOKS NOTE 3 **
5. Remove, slice, and serve with a cold lager beer, a wheat beer, or a crisp Sauvignon Blanc.
1. Use any other small or medium fresh clam available, but try yo keep the size about 1½ inches so as to not burn the clam when baking your pizza.
2. Simmer fresh rosemary to flavor your olive oil, then discard the rosemary stem & leaves
3 Cooking time may vary depending on your dough, altitude, humidity and ovens. Watch your first pizza carefully and adjust your recipe to
suit your cooking environment. Level of doneness is very important here, so keep an eye on things at this stage of your pizza.
Copyright 2001© - 2012© TheGutsyGourmet® - All rights reserved