RECIPE PRINTED FROM: THEGUTSYGOURMET.NET©
THAI SPRING ROLLS
INGREDIENTS: Makes about 30
• 1 pound of shrimp, preferably fresh. Shell and devein them, and cut them into small pieces
• Boil a chicken breast or two, let the chicken cool, and shred it
• Minced fresh garlic, to taste. Start with a tablespoon
• Take a handful of long green beans and French cut them
• Minced fresh onion, starting with a tablespoon.
• 1 cup of fresh, grated carrots.
• A handful of fine rice noodles, the kind called ‘Thai glass noodles'
• Tablespoon of salt
• Tablespoon of soy sauce
• Tablespoon of sugar
• Teaspoon of black pepper...or, if you want a bit more spicy flavor, mild red pepper
• A package of 30 or so lumpia or won ton wrappers
• Egg white with very hot oil to fry these in
• Hot sauce or sweet and sour sauce for dipping
1. Put two tablespoons of oil in your wok. Stir fry the garlic and onion until lightly browned. Stir in the chicken and the shrimp, and fry until the shrimp is a light pink.
2. Add the vegetables - the green beans and carrots - and the noodles. Stir and fry until the veggies are cooked....but not soggy.
3. Add the salt and pepper, soy sauce, and sugar, and toss until mixed thoroughly. Cover with a cloth and set aside to cool.
4. When the mixture is cool enough to handle, place enough to comfortably fill a lumpia wrapper, and roll the wrapper. Seal it with a bit of egg white. What you do is
put the wrapper in front of you so it makes a diamond shape rather than a square. Put a large spoonful of the mixture in the lower third of the diamond, and roll the
wrapper up, away from you. As you do this, fold the ends over so the rolling seals them. Dab a bit of egg white on the top point of the diamond, and seal the wrapper.
5. Now..when you have them all wrapped, make sure your oil is quite hot, and drop several into the oil. If you put too many in, the oil will cool off too quickly, the spring
rolls will soak up oil, and become nasty, greasy messes. If you can, these are best cooked outside where the spattering oil will not make such a mess. If you haven't
noticed it's messy work, but worth the effort.
Copyright 2001© - 2012© TheGutsyGourmet® - All rights reserved