THAI SHRIMP SALAD WITH TAMARIND GLACÈ
INGREDIENTS: SERVES 4
● 2 tablespoons tamarind paste
● 2 tablespoons hot water
● ¼ cup rice wine
● ¼ cup warm honey
● 2 tablespoons thai fish sauce
● ½ pound seedless cucumber
● 1 pint cherry tomatoes
● 1 cup mung bean sprouts
● 2 tablespoons peanut oil
● 3 to 4 whole thai chili peppers
● 2 tablespoons grated ginger
● 1 pound jumbo shrimp, shelled
● ¼ cup shelled, unsalted peanuts
1. Dissolve the tamarind in the hot water in a small bowl. Add the rice wine, honey and fish sauce to the tamarind and stir well to combine.
2. Wash the cucumber and cherry tomatoes. Score the cucumber with a channeling knife or a fork and slice into paper thin slice using
a vegetable slicer. Arrange the cucumber around the perimeter of a serving platter, overlapping decoratively as you go. Cut the
tomatoes in quarters and similarly place around the platter overlapping the cucumbers where necessary. Place the mung bean sprouts,
upon which the cooked shrimp will sit, in a heap in the center of the platter.
3. Heat the peanut oil in a large saute pan or wok over high heat. Add the whole chili peppers and heat through for 30 seconds. Add the
ginger, cook for 30 seconds, add the shrimp and stir fry for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the tamarind glacè and bring to a fast boil. Toss or stir
the shrimp well to coat in the glacè. Cook just until the shrimp begins to become firm and opaque, about 12 minutes more.
4. Spoon the shrimp over the bean sprouts and serve.