DOUBLE FRIED SWEET POTATOES & GINGER 5 SPICE KETCHUPDOUBLE FRIED SWEET POTATO FRIESAdapted from FoodTV.comINGREDIENTS: SERVES 4
● Canola or other vegetable oil, for frying
● 2 pounds sweet potatoes
● Sea Salt, to taste
1. Pour oil in a deep fryer or heavy saucepan to reach halfway up the sides of the pan. Heat to 325 degrees F, use a deep fry thermometer
to determine this.While the oil is heating, peel the potatoes and push through a French fry cutter to form uniform sticks. As you go, place
the cut potatoes in a bowl of ice water to release some of the starch and to keep them from browning.
2. Dry the potato strips thoroughly, this will keep the oil from splattering. Fry the potatoes in batches so the pan isn’t crowded and the oil
temperature does not plummet. Cook for 3 minutes until they are soft but not browned.
3. Remove the potatoes with a long-handled metal strainer and drain on brown paper bags.
4. Bring oil temperature up to 375℉. Return the par-fried potatoes to the oil in batches and cook a second time for 4 minutes until golden
5. Drain on fresh brown paper bags then place in a serving bowl lined with paper towels. Salt and serve immediately.
GINGER 5-SPICE KETCHUPFrom Metropolitan Home INGREDIENTS: Makes 1 pint. SERVES 4
● 2 Tablespoon(s) canola oil
● ½ Cup(s) finely chopped onion
● 1Teaspoon(s) minced garlic
● 1½ Teaspoon(s) dry mustard
● ¾ Teaspoon(s) salt
● 2 lbs. ripe tomatoes (about 4 medium), peeled and coarsely chopped
● 1 Tablespoon(s). tomato paste
● 2 Teaspoon(s) freshly grated ginger-root
● ¾ Teaspoon(s) Chinese five-spice powder
● ½ Teaspoon(s) cayenne pepper
● 1 Tablespoon(s) light brown sugar
● ¼ Cup(s) rice vinegar
1. In a medium nonreactive saucepan, heat canola oil and add onion, garlic, dry mustard and salt. Cook for about 10 minutes, until softened.
2. Add tomatoes, tomato paste and spices. Cook for about 20 minutes over medium heat, Stir often to prevent scorching. Gently breakdown
tomatoes with the back of a wooden spoon while cooking.
3. Add light brown sugar and rice vinegar and continue to cook, stirring for another 10 minutes, until mixture has a thick sauce consistency.
4. Purée using an immersion blender or cool briefly before puréeing in a standard blender. Pour into a jar and cool completely before covering
and refrigerating. Ketchup will keep, covered and refrigerated, for about a month.
NOTE: ALTHOUGH NOT THE EXACT RECIPE PRESENTED, THE VIDEO BELOW MIGHT BE OF HELP TO YOU.
U-TUBE VIDEO - HOW TO MAKE FRIED SWEET POTATOES- Betty's Kitchen