RECIPE PRINTED FROM: THEGUTSYGOURMET.NET©
ASIAN SPRING ROLLS - WOLFGANG PUCK
INGREDIENTS: MAKES 2 DOZEN
● 1 large onion, julienned
● 1 medium carrot, julienned
● 1/4 pound shiitake mushrooms, discard stems, julienned
● 1 large red bell pepper, julienned
● 1 large yellow bell pepper, julienned
● 1 small green cabbage, julienned
● Peanut oil, for stir-frying
● Salt and pepper
● 1/4 pound glass noodles, soaked in water for 10 minutes, chopped into
● smaller strands
● 1/4 cup mushroom soy sauce
● 2 tablespoons chili paste
● 1 tablespoon sesame oil
● 1 bunch cilantro leaves, chopped
● Cooked aromatic mixture, recipe follows
To form spring rolls: INGREDIENTS & DIRECTIONS: TO FORM SPRING ROLLS
● Spring roll wrappers
● 1 egg with 1 tablespoon each water and cornstarch, beaten together for egg wash
● Peanut oil, for deep-frying
1. Prepare the filling. In a wok, stir-fry each vegetable separately in peanut oil. Season with salt and pepper. Drain and transfer
to a mixing bowl. Stir in noodles, mushroom soy sauce, chili paste, sesame oil, and cilantro.
2. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside to cool completely. When cool, blend the filling mixture with the aromatic mixture.
When ready to form the spring rolls, squeeze out all the excess liquid.
Make the spring rolls.
1.Place about 1/2 cup of prepared filling per spring roll wrapper. Roll and seal edges with the egg wash. Repeat the
process until all filling is used.
2. In a deep pot, with about 4 cups peanut oil heated to 350℉, deep-fry in batches of 4 until golden, about 2 to 3 minutes.
Drain on paper towels. Trim off the ends and slice diagonally. Drizzle top with Hot Chinese Mustard Sauce.
3. Serve immediately.
● 1 (2-inch piece) fresh ginger, peeled
● 3 large cloves garlic
● 2 green onions
● Pinch red pepper flakes
● 1/2 cup peanut oil
● Pinch salt
● Pinch black pepper
● Pinch sugar
1. Prepare the aromatic mixture. In a food processor, combine the ginger, garlic, green onions and red pepper flakes. Turn
on machine, slowly add oil and process mixture to a puree. Sauté mixture for 1 to 2 minutes.
2. Season with salt, pepper and sugar. Set aside.
Hot Chinese Mustard Sauce: INGREDIENTS - Hot Chinese Mustard Sauce:
● 4 tablespoons Chinese dry mustard
● 2 tablespoons water
● 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
● 4 tablespoons pickled ginger liquid
● 1 lemon, juiced
● Pinch turmeric
● 1 tablespoon sugar
● 1 egg yolk*
● 1 tablespoon chili oil
● 1 tablespoon sesame oil
● 1 cup peanut oil
1. Prepare the Hot Chinese Mustard Sauce. In a bowl, combine all the ingredients except the oil. Stir until well blended. Slowly
whisk in the peanut oil until emulsified. Refrigerate, covered until needed.*RAW EGG WARNING The American Egg Board
states: "There have been warnings against consuming raw or lightly cooked eggs on the grounds that the egg may be
contaminated with Salmonella, a bacteria responsible for a type of food poisoning. Healthy people need to remember that
there is a very small risk and treat eggs and other raw animal foods accordingly. Use only properly refrigerated, clean,
sound-shelled, fresh, grade AA or A eggs. Avoid mixing yolks and whites with the shell”
Copyright 2001© - 2012© TheGutsyGourmet® - All rights reserved