IRISH SHEPHERD’S PIE
INGREDIENTS: SERVES 6
● 1 tablespoon olive oil
● 1 teaspoon black pepper
● ½ lb ground beef and ½ lb ground lamb
● 1 large onions, large dice
● 3 -4 large carrots, large dice
● 1 cup frozen peas
● 3 -4 sprigs fresh thyme, finely diced
● 2 tablespoons flour
● 1 tablespoon butter + additional Tablespoon for greasing the baking dish
● 1 Cup red wine
● 2 tablespoons tomato paste
● 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
● 2 Teaspoon Anchovy paste
● 1 cup chicken stock
● 1 large quantity mashed potatoes (about 6 Cups, fresh mashed or leftovers)
● 1 egg, beaten
● grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (optional)
✚ Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
1. Sautè carrots in the olive oil until starting to get tender.
2. Add in the onions and saute for a minute or two then add the meat.
3. Season with black pepper and thyme.
4. Cook until browned then skim off or drain the fat.
5. Sprinkle with flour and stir through.
6. Add tomato paste, wine, Worcestershire sauce and anchovy paste.
7. Let this reduce slightly then add the chicken stock. Allow to reduce down until you have a thick gravy. Season with sea salt to your taste.
8. Remove from heat. Grease an oven proof dish, (oval or 9 X 13 baking dish) with butter and add the sauce.
9. Add the butter and peas.
10. Spoon or decoratively pipe the mashed potatoes over top. Brush with the beaten egg and sprinkle with Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese if using.
11. Bake for about 20 minutes or until the potato is golden brown on top.
Add the butter and peas.