ROASTED VEGETABLE CANNELONI
Except for the dairy, a truly vegetarian dish with a lot of flavor.
"The stuffing is great. Lots of roasted veggies**SEE COOKS NOTE** like eggplant, onions, red bell peppers, mushrooms and zucchini and non-veggies like mozzarella,
ricotta, parmesan and olive oil.The sauce is sensational. Sherry, Marsala, cream, garlic and shallots all heated until warm and fragrant."
RECIPE PRINTED FROM: THEGUTSYGOURMET.NET©
Roasted Vegetable Canneloni
INGREDIENTS: Yield: 8 servings
8 canneloni noodles, tubes or pasta sheets, or spring roll wrappers if necessary
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 shallots, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ cup dry sherry wine (not cooking wine!)
½ cup marsala wine (not cooking wine!)
1cup heavy whipping cream
salt and pepper to taste
1 onion, chopped
2 large Portabella mushrooms, roasted, cooled and coarse chopped
3 zucchini, sliced lengthwise in ¼ inch slices, roasted, cooled and coarse chopped
2 medium eggplant, sliced lengthwise in ¼ inch slices, roasted, cooled and coarse chopped
2 red bell peppers, roasted, cooled and coarse chopped
1 large yellow onion sliced in round ¼ inch slices, roasted, cooled and coarse chopped
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
3/4 cup ricotta cheese
½ cup diced mozzarella cheese
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. In a large pot of salted water, parboil cannelloni. (Parboiling is partially cooking the noodles in boiling water; they will finish cooking when baked.)
2. Meanwhile, cook 2 cloves garlic and 2 shallots in 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat for 30 seconds. Add cup of your favorite
marinara sauce. Pour in sherry, raise heat to high, and reduce liquid by half. Stir in cream, and reduce until there is about 1 1/2 cups liquid. Remove from
heat, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Set cream sauce aside.
3. In a large skillet, heat one tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Cook onion, 3 shallots, 3 cloves garlic, mushrooms, zucchini, and eggplant in olive oil
until all vegetables are tender. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in red peppers, basil, oregano, ricotta, Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Season to taste with
salt and pepper. Set filling aside.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease one 9x13 inch baking dish. Stuff roasted vegetable/cheese filling into canneloni. Place in
prepared baking dish, and cover with cream sauce.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes.
1. Roasting Fruits & Vegetables A must review on how to roast vegetables and fruits. An Invaluable source!
Copyright 2001© - 2014© The Gutsy Gourmet® - All rights reserved