To print this page, use your browser's print button, or use the copy/paste/print method.
CHICKEN WITH PORT WINE, RAISINS, MUSHROOMS, AND SHALLOTS
A Moorish dish with the combined flavors of Spain and Portugal with subtle hints of North Africa.
Chicken enhanced with an irresistable sweet and sour sauce!
RECIPE PRINTED FROM: THEGUTSYGOURMET.NET©
INGREDIENTS: Serves 4
• 1/2 cup dark raisins
• 1 cup port wine
• 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
• 4 breasts of chicken, bone in or boneless-skinless
• 2 shallots, diced
• 2 cloves garlic, crushed
• 1/4 pound fresh crimini mushrooms
• 2 large carrots cut in 1 inch pieces on the diagonal
• 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
• 1/2 cup heavy cream, or evaporated milk
• 1/4 teaspoon grated fresh nutmeg
• 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water
• Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
• 1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
• Fresh herbs - flat leaf parsley, green onion tops or fresh mint for garnish.
1. Soak the raisins in the port wine at least 1 hour or, preferably, overnight.
2. Preheat oven to 375º degrees.
3. In a sautè pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. When hot, sautè the chicken breasts on one side
until golden brown. Turn the chicken over and brown the other side. Transfer to an ovenproof dish.
Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
4. In the meantime, in the sautè pan, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add the shallots,
garlic and carrots and sweat them for 2 minutes.
5. Add the mushrooms and sautè them for 2 minutes. Add the vinegar and reduce until almost dry. Stir
in the raisins and their soaking liquid. Cook until the liquid is reduced by half.
6. Add the cream or evaporated milk, nutmeg, cayenne, and cornstarch mixture. Cook for 2 more
minutes, but do not bring to a boil.
7. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
8. Spoon the sauce onto serving plates, set a chicken breast on top, spoon two tablespoons of sauce on
top and garnish with the carrots, and fresh herbs.
COOKS NOTE: Couscous or rice pilaf would make a perfect side dish.
Copyright 2001© - 2011© The Gutsy Gourmet® - All rights reserved