To print this page, use your browser's print button, or use the copy/paste/print method.
VEGETARIAN PAD THAI (ALMOST) - JUST EGGS AND FISH SAUCE KEEPS IT OFF THE STRICTLY VEGETARIAN LIST.
I'm sure you can eliminate the eggs and use a soy sauce base to replace the fish sauce.
Pad Thai is the National Dish of Thailand and is also the favorite dish for Westerners who are just beginning to taste the fresh and marvelous cuisine of that country. Thai food can be spicy hot, but need not be. Just go light on the peppers and hot sauces until you find your toleration zone. Spicy Thai is an adventure that takes a little time to get used to.
INGREDIENTS: Serves 2
• 3 cups narrow rice noodle
• 2 eggs
• 1½ cups extra firm soya bean curd, cut into 1 inch squares
• 1 tablespoon pickled white radish, chopped
• ½ cup cooking oil
• 1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
• 1 teaspoon shallot or onion, chopped
• 1 teaspoon ground dried red chilli or paprika**COOKS NOTE**
• 4 tablespoons sugar**COOKS NOTE**
• 4 tablespoons fish sauce (Nam Pla) (Can use soy sauce)**COOKS NOTE**
• 4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar**COOKS NOTE**
• ½ cup bean sprouts
• 1 lemon or lime for garnishing
• ¼ cup carrot, for garnishing, sliced thinly (julienned)
• ¼ cup cabbage, for garnishing sliced thinly (julienned)
• 2 tablespoons ground roasted peanuts
1. Fry the chopped garlic and onion until turned yellow.
2. Add the tofu and fry until cooked.
3. Add the pickled white radish.
4. Break the eggs into the pan and scramble.
5. Add sugar, fish sauce, vinegar, ground dried red chilli and stir well. **COOKS NOTE**
6. Pour in the noodles, stir fry until mixed well, add spring onion, 3/4 or half a cup of bean sprouts
and stir-fry until cooked.
7. Spoon onto a platter, Garnish with ground roasted peanut, bean sprouts, carrot, cabbage and sliced
wedges of lemon or lime.
The sauce for Pad Thai can be purchased from an Asian grocery or the Asian aisle in most good
supermarkets. The brand I use is "Maesri Pad Thai Sauce" Most Thai sauces contain some comb-
ination of tamarind, sugar, fish sauce, vinegar, tomato paste and chili pepper.