To print this page, use your browser's print button, or use the copy/paste/print method.
SHEPARDIC ARTICHOKE AND CHICKPEA SOUP
Artichokes an chickpeas are known to be historic food of the early Arabic, Jewish and Central Mediterranean inhabitants.
This recipe is in keeping with the now fabled "Mediterranean Diet". Omit the Chicken broth and replace it with vegetable broth and you have the almost perfect vegetarian recipe.
RECIPE PRINTED FROM: THEGUTSYGOURMET.NET©
INGREDIENTS: Serves 4
● 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
● 1 onions, peeled and chopped ( 6oz)
● 1 teaspoon salt
● 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
● 1/4-1/2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
● 2 carrots, peeled and chopped ( 6-8oz)
● 4 roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped (12oz) or 1 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, drained
● 2 (15 ounce) cans artichoke hearts or bottoms, drained, rinsed, and quartered
● 1 (15 ounce) cans garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
● 2 (15 ounce) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth or 2 (15 ounce) cans vegetable broth
● 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
● 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
● salt, to taste
● black pepper, to taste
1. Set a 4-to 6 quart pot over medium high heat.
2. Add oil, onion and salt. Stir often until onion becomes translucent, about 3 minutes.
3. Add garlic and chile flakes. Stir until garlic softens, 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Add carrots, tomatoes, artichoke hearts, garbanzos, and broth.
5. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Cover and simmer until carrots are tender when pierced, about 15 minutes.
6. Season with sage, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.
7. For Vegan/Vegetarian do not use the chicken broth option.
Lemon wedges (optional)
Grated Pecorino or Parmesan cheese (optional)
Copyright 2001© - 2012© The Gutsy Gourmet® - All rights reserved