LAMB CURRY MADRAS
INGREDIENTS: SERVES 6
● 4 pounds boneless, trimmed lamb shoulder
● Salt and freshly ground black pepper
● 1 cup vegetable oil
● 3 onions, diced
● 2 tablespoons pureed garlic
● 2 tablespoons black mustard seeds
● 2 tablespoons garam masala
● 2 teaspoons turmeric
● 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
● 2 teaspoons ground cumin
● 1 teaspoons dried red pepper flakes
● 2 quarts brown lamb stock or canned chicken broth
● Plain yogurt and Fried Onions, for garnish
1. Cut meat, as uniformly as possible, into 2 by 3inch cubes. Generously sprinkle with salt and pepper.
2. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over high heat. Cook meat until golden brown on all sides, then reserve on a
platter. In same pot, cook onions, stirring occasionally, until golden. Reduce heat to medium, add garlic and
all dry spices, and cook about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Return meat to pan and pour in lamb stock.
Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook, uncovered, 1 hour 15 minutes. Occasionally skim and discard
fat that rises to the top.
3. Ladle warm stew over a bed of basmati rice.
4. Garnish with yogurt and Fried Onions. Serve immediately.