To print this page, use your browser's print button, or use the copy/paste/print method.
POTATO LATKES - RECIPE COURTESY OF MANNY’S DELICATESSEN, CHICAGO
A traditional Hannukka meal, that is filling as well as tasty. The sides for this dish seem to be a very important part. Sour cream, apple sauce and a plethora of condiments make this Holiday fare.
RECIPE PRINTED FROM: THEGUTSYGOURMET.NET©
Recipe courtesy of “Manny’s Delicatessen” Chicago
• 3 Lbs russett baking potatoes, grated coarse (2 cups) **SEE COOKS NOTE** 1
• ¼ cup fine grated yellow onion, squeeze out all liquid as possible
Stir potato and onion mixture together with…
• 2 large eggs, beaten
• 1 Teaspoon(s) salt
• 2-3 grinds of black pepper
• ⅛ teaspoon baking powder
• 1 Tablespoon all purpose flour
Let the above mixture stand for 5 minutes
In a heavy skillet, melt,
• ¼ cup of butter at medium-high heat and then add
• ½ cup or more of peanut oil or other vegetable oil **SEE COOKS NOTE** 2
1. Drop 2 tablespoon portions of batter into the hot oil mixture.
2. With a wooden spoon or non-stick slotted spatula, slightly flatten the tops of the potato mixture. be careful not to make them too thin,
just flatten them on top. Add the mixture until batter is depleted, but (important) do not let the individual latkes touch each other.
3. Fry each latke for two minutes and flip and fry for another 2 minutes. You just have enough time to flip the lakes, and with the slotted
spatula, remove them from the pan to a paper towel to drain before you turn your attention to another latke.
1. I have been recently using “Simply Potatoes” for grated potatoes and hash browns. These are easy to use, inexpensive
and available at Fred Meyer, Kroeger, Safeway and Vons markets, and probably many more. I hate to push a product like this and cause the
price to go up, but I think they are great and usually cost about $1.50 for as 16 oz. bag. Reser's can be found at your local Walmart Super Stores. You are going to love me for this tip.
2. I like peanut oil for frying, but canola, corn or any other vegetable oil will work here as well.
Copyright 2001© - 2013© TheGutsyGourmet® - All rights reserved