KEUFTA STEW (ARMENIAN MEATBALL STEW)
INGREDIENTS MEATBALLS: SERVES 4
● ½ lb. ground sirloin or top round
● ½ lb. ground lean lamb
● 1 cup bulgur, ground fine
● 1 large onion
● Cayenne pepper and/or paprika to taste, optional
● salt and pepper to taste
● ¼ cup green bell pepper, chopped fine
● ¼ cup Armenian or Italian parsley, chopped fine
1. Combine the above ingredients and knead into a dough and form into 1 inch meatballs.
● 2 cans of Swanson's® chicken or beef broth
● 1 small can of tomato sauce
● 2 large carrots, chopped] or thinly sliced into rounds
● 1 cup shelled green peas
● 2 large potatoes cubed into 1 inch cubes
● ½ cup whole wheat kernels, Zezads (Whole wheat kernels} or barley
● ½ cup red wine
● 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil Enough water to keep the stew at the desired consistency.
1. Heat the soup mixture to a slow boil and then add the meatballs one at a time so as not to break up or stick. Turn the heat down and low simmer for 1 hour or longer.