JEWISH CHICKEN SOUP OR JEWISH PENICILLIN
Jewish Penicillin!. We are talking "Folk Medicine" here folks.
RECIPE PRINTED FROM: THEGUTSYGOURMET.NET©
JEWISH CHICKEN SOUP
Make the soup the day before so that the fat will harden, come to the top of the bowl, and you can discard it.**SEE COOK'S NOTE**
✸ Rather than discarding the fat, You can render the fat into Rendered Chicken Fat, "Schmaltz".
INGREDIENTS for Jewish Chicken Soup: SERVES 6
● 1 “pullet” chicken (less than a year old) from your butcher, (cut into ⅛′s and ask for extra gurgles and gizzards, if butcher
✸ You can use a package of Empire’s Cut-Up Chicken Parts — the pullet is better, but the Empire cup-up parts is okay to use
as a substitute.
● Make a Bouquet garni, (a small bundle of herbs classically used to season French Provençal dishes) wrapped and tied in
* parsley (Italian parsley with the root, if available; cut off the root and scrape it clean. Add it to the soup). *NOTE:* Okay if you can't
get the parsley root. If Italian parsley is not available, regular curly parsley is okay.**SEE COOK'S NOTE**
* dill **SEE COOK'S NOTE**
* celery (one rib, cut into workable pieces — two or three pieces, depending on the size of the rib)
* celery leaves
* one bay leaf (dried)
✸ The bundles of parsley and dill are usually so large that you could use only half a bundle of each, and freeze the other half
for the next time you want to make chicken soup.
● 2 large carrots, cut into three or four pieces each.
● 1 large parsnip, cut into three or four pieces.
● 1 onion (whole) You can use two onions if you really like onions. One onion is probably enough though.
● 6 Cup(s) water
● Kosher salt to taste
1. Bring chicken and water to a boil. Take off the dark foam that forms when the water boils. When the foam stops
forming, add the carrots, onions, and herb bundle. Cover and boil for one and a half hours.
2. When cool, using a fork, or squeeze with a tight fist and press the liquid from the herb bundle and add it to the soup.
3. Discard the herb bundle. Separate the chicken, carrots, and onion from the soup and refrigerate. Pour the soup into a
large bowl and refrigerate overnight so that the fat will harden.
4. Next day: Remove the fat that has formed on the top of the soup and set aside to render the fat into “Schmaltz” Recipe.
5. Heat the soup and add, if you desire, Matzoh balls or pre-cooked noodles to the soup before re-heating and serving.
6. Extra soup can be frozen, if desired.
NOTE: ALTHOUGH NOT THE EXACT RECIPE PRESENTED, THE VIDEO(S) BELOW MIGHT BE OF HELP TO YOU.
U-TUBE VIDEO - HOW TO MAKE JEWISH CHICKEN SOUP - Judy Slyper
Copyright 2001© - 2012© TheGutsyGourmet® - All rights reserved