To print this page, use your browser's print button, or use the copy/paste/print method.
NASI GORENG - INDONESIAN FRIED RICE
A mixture of cultures in the spectacular appetizer. Bring together an Asian, sub-tropical array of ingredients and wrap it all up in a Greek-Middle-Eastern package and you end up with a magnificent stimulation of the senses.
Shredded Phyllo dough is the wrapping for this appetizer, and it can be deep fried or baked. I chose to bake these, but they are a treat no matter how you make them.**SEE COOK'S NOTES**
RECIPE PRINTED FROM: THEGUTSYGOURMET.NET©
INGREDIENTS: SERVES 2
● 1 shallot
● 1 garlic
● 1 red chili (seeded)
● ˝ teaspoon toasted belacan (terasi)**SEE COOK'S NOTES-1**
● ˝ teaspoon palm sugar
● ˝ tablespoon kecap manis**SEE COOK'S NOTES-2**
● 8 oz. overnight rice
● 1 fried egg (well done)
● 2 tablespoons oil
1. Break the overnight/leftover rice using the back of a spoon so they don’t clump together. In a wok, toast the belacan
on low heat until it becomes dry and aromatic. Toasted belacan should be somewhat powdery and appear like tiny
granules. Fry an egg (well-done) and set aside.
2. Using a mortar and pestle or a mini food processor, blend the shallot, garlic, red chili, and toasted belacan. Transfer
he blended flavoring paste into a small saucer.
3. Heat up a wok and add oil. Add the flavoring paste and stir-fry until aromatic or when the oil separates. Add the rice
into the wok and stir well with the flavoring paste. Add kecap manis and palm sugar into the rice and continue to
1. Ingredients can be found in most Asian Markets, good supermarkets or Online food stores like Amazon.com.
2. Indonesian Sweet Soy Sauce, (Kecap Manis) Pronounced "Ketchup". You can buy this sauce at an Asian market, or
use this recipe and make it yourself. Many Asian recipes call for Kecap Manis or Sweet Thick Soy Sauce.
3. In Indonesia, nasi goreng is often served with various sides such fried prawn crackers, fresh
vegetables such as lettuce, sliced cucumber, and sliced tomatoes. However, you can just make
it plain like what I did. I also love sliced red chili dipped in kecap manis as a condiment. It’s great
with the fried egg!
Copyright 2001© - 2012© The Gutsy Gourmet® - All rights reserved