(1) First prepare the sauce: Slice or chop the onions. Using a large heavy frypan that has a lid, saute' the onions in the oil. When they are translucent and beginning to brown, add the garlic. When its moisture evaporates, add the cayenne, coriander, and masala seasoning. Add the yogurt. Lower heat and simmer 7 minutes, partly covered. Remove from heat.
(2) Cut the chicken into chunks. If you are feeling decadent, then remove the bones from the chicken to make this a boneless-chicken dish.
(3) Pure* the onion-and-spice mixture in your food processor or food mill. Don't make it into baby food, but make sure there are no stringy pieces of onion left in it.
(4) Over medium-high heat, heat the clarified butter until it starts to smoke, then dump in the cut-up chicken all at once. Stir continuously for 2 minutes, then saut* for 3 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
(5) Add the onion-and-spice pur* to the cooking chicken. Add salt. Stir the mixture until it starts to bubble, then lower heat, cover, and sim- mer for 30 minutes.
(6) Let cool until ready to serve. The longer you wait, the better it will taste.
(7) Cook some rice to go with it. Reheat over low heat, and serve.
Masala seasoning is an Indian "general-purpose" seasoning.
Serious Indian cooks make their own, and no two are quite
the same. The word masala means something like "blend of
spices". Since this dish isn't trying to be authentically
Indian, you can use most any store-bought mixture that you
like, including "Tandoori" mixtures, ``curry powders'', etc.
If you want to make your own, try some mixture of cardamom
seeds, cinnamon, cloves, pepper, cumin, and coriander, suit-
ably mixed and ground.
If you don't want to use clarified butter you can use any cooking oil, but the clarified butter is very Indian.
Please report any bad links..Thanks, Buzz
Armenian Recipes Italian Recipes Asian Recipes Mexican Recipes Greek Recipes Native American Recipes North African Cuisine Soul Food
Provencι Jewish Recipes Middle Eastern Recipes Cajun, Creole, & Caribbean Spain & Portugal Artichoke Recipes Aubergine-Eggplant Recipes
Secret Recipes Yogurt Recipes Dungeness Crab Recipes Grill & Barbecue Recipes Vicki's Desserts Buzz's Bistro
Tapas, Mezza, PuPus Appetizers Soups & Stews Salads Meats Poultry Seafood Beverages & Cocktails Casseroles and Gratins
Rice and Grains Pasta Breads Vegetables Sauces & Salsas Condiments Cooking Hygiene Food Humor Home Guestbook E-mail Art Collection