IMOM BAYELDI (The Sultan Fainted)
INGREDIENTS: Serves 4
● 2 medium round eggplant
● ¼ chopped Armenian or Italian parsley, Flat leaf variety
● 2 red onions sliced in rounds
● 2 red, green or gold bell pepper sliced in rounds
● 1 large tomato sliced in rounds
● 2 cloves garlic, crushed
● 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint leaves
● 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil leaves
● 1 can tomato sauce
● ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
1. Slice the eggplant into ½ inch rounds, do not peel
2. Salt the eggplant slices and set aside for about 20-30 minutes and let them sweat. Squeeze the rounds gently to eliminate the brownish liquid, flatten back into shape,
and pat dry. Dip rounds quickly into olive oil to coat letting excess run off. Place on a baking pan and bake in a preheated 450℉ oven until lightly browned.
3. In a sautè pan, carefully and lightly, saute the onions, peppers and garlic in olive oil. Add the tomatoes, basil, mint and parsley and sautè for a few minutes more. Place
the browned eggplant in a baking pan and arrange the sauted vegetables on the eggplant rounds and pour tomato sauce sparingly over the top.
4. Place in a 375℉ oven for and additional ½ hour. Remove, cool to room temperature.
5. Served warm or at room temperature.