SERVINGS: 6 - 8
4 slabs pork loin back ribs
FIRST STAGE DRY RUB:
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/3 cup garlic powder
2 tablespoons onion salt
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano
2 Tablespoon Cumin
1/2 cup apple juice per slab
1/2 cup grape juice per slab
1 1/2 cup of your favorite red barbecue sauce or
**GUTSY GOURMET'S HONEY/CHIPOTLE/WHISKEY SAUCE (See recipe below)
1. Raw Preparation: Place slab of ribs bone side down on table. Slide knife under
the membrane and against the end bone to separate the two.
2. With a dry paper towel, grasp the edge of the thin membrane and pull. The entire
membrane should separate from the ribs.
1. Preheat oven to 225º degrees. Combine First Stage rub and mix well. Generously
apply rub onto the front and back sides of ribs. Gently pat to ensure that rub will
adhere. Place ribs meat-side up on a broiler pan and bake for 2 1/2 hours.
2. Remove ribs from oven. Place each rib meat-side down on its own doubled aluminum
foil square. Foil should be large enough to completely wrap rib. Mix the Second Stage
juices. Pour 1 cup of liquid over each rib. At the same time wrap and seal each rib
tight. Return to the oven for 1 hour. This steams the ribs with the fruit juice.
3. Remove wrapped ribs from oven. Remove from foil and apply a generous coat of the
Barbecue Sauce** to both sides of the ribs. Place uncovered in the oven meat-side
up for 30 minutes. Turn the ribs over for 15 minutes of the 30.
OUTDOOR BARBECUE METHOD:
1. Preheat gas or charcoal barbecue to 225º degrees. Combine First Stage rub and mix well.
Generously apply rub onto the front and back sides of ribs. Gently pat to ensure that rub will
adhere. Place ribs meat-side up on the grill but not directly over the burners and BBQ for
2 1/2 - 3 hours. If you would like to add smoke, place a foil pan on the grill over the burner,
and add water soaked apple, mesquite or hickory chips and they will give enough smoke to
further flavor the ribs.
2. Remove ribs from the BBQ . Place the ribs meat-side down in an aluminum foil baking pan.
Mix the Second Stage juices. Pour the liquid over the ribs. Cover the panfries with aluminum
foil. Return to the grill for about 1 hour. This steams the ribs with the fruit juice.
3. Remove the ribs from the pan and apply a generous coat of the Barbecue Sauce** to both
sides of the ribs. Place uncovered on the grill and grill until the BBQ sauce has caramelized
and glazed (Careful not to burn the coating.) This will take about 15-20 minutes turning so as
not to burn the glaze.
**GUTSY GOURMET'S HONEY/CHIPOTLE/WHISKEY SAUCE
GUTSY'S PERSONAL BARBECUE SAUCE FOR RIBS!
8 cups Catsup
1 cup Brown sugar, packed
2 cups honey
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons Dry mustard
1 cup Jeramiah Weed Bourbon Whiskey liqueur
1/2 cup Cider vinegar
1/2 cup Soy sauce
1/2 cup adobo sauce from canned chipotle peppers
Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring.
Reduce heat to low; simmer uncovered 20 to 25 mins. or until reduced & thickened, stirring occasionally.
Makes about a 1/2 gal.**
**Will keep in the fridge for weeks.