To print this page, use your browser's print button, or use the copy/paste/print method.
This is a Greek dish in the style of lasagna. It is made with layers of ground meat,
eggplant and Bechamel Sauce. It is a favorite throughout the Mediterranean, the
Middle and Near East, and especially Greece.
Moussaska is without a doubt the "National Dish" of Greece!
RECIPE PRINTED FROM: THEGUTSYGOURMET.NET©
INGREDIENTS: Serves 4-6
• 4 lb egg plants, Can use globe or Japanese
• ½ cup olive oil, Greek of course
• 2 chopped onions
• 1 lb ground beef or lamb, or 1/2 lb. of each
• ½ cup Romano cheese
• ½ cup grated Goldies friganies (Greek wheat crackers)**
• ½ cup white wine
• sea salt to taste
• Fresh ground black pepper
• ½ cup parsley, Flat leaf
• 1-2 cloves garlic crushed
• 2 large tomatoes chopped
• 1 cup tomato sauce
• 6 cups milk
• 12 tbs flour
• 2 sticks butter
• 1 tsp sea salt
• 5 eggs
1. Combine all ingredients in a saucepan, stirring constantly, over medium heat, until thickened . Let
stand until ready to use.
1. Cut eggplants into ½ inch slices. Let stand in bowl of salted water for 15 minutes. Meanwhile,
prepare the ground meat of your choice.
2. In a sauce pan sauté chopped onions with the oil and ½ cup water. Add ground beef, salt, pepper,
and mix well for about 10 minutes.
3. Add wine, parsley, garlic, tomato sauce, and chopped tomatoes. Cook until most of the juice is
4. Prepare eggplants by brushing them with oil and baking them on a cookie sheet for 30-35 minutes.
In a 14 x 11 baking pan. Arrange layers of eggplant slices, alternating with meat mixture. Top with
5. Spread cream sauce over top. Sprinkle with grated cheese. Bake at 350º degrees for 30-35 minutes.
**COOKS NOTE: If you cannot find Goldies friganies (Greek wheat toasts), You can make
dry wheat toast from sliced whole wheat bread. This is crumbled and sprinkled over the cheese layer
just before baking.
Copyright 2001© - 2011© The Gutsy Gourmet® - All rights reserved