To print this page, use your browser's print button.
GREEK BEEF STIFADO
Rich beef and onion stew.
In Greek: Pronounced stee-FAH-thoh
The key to this recipe is the long cooking time, which brings together the tastes
of the beef, onions, garlic, bay leaf, and rosemary. (I'm told that by adjusting the
amount of water, this works well in a slow cooker or crockpot)
Printed from THEGUTSYGOURMET.NET
• 3 1/3 pounds of lean beef, cut in egg-sized chunks
• 3 1/3 pounds of whole boiler onions or small shallots, peeled
• 3/4 cups of olive oil
• 3 ounces (6 tablespoons) of red wine vinegar
• 10 cloves of garlic, peeled, whole
• 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
• 2 bay leaves
• 1 stem of fresh rosemary
• 1 tablespoon of salt
• 10-12 peppercorns
•In a stew pot, lightly brown the meat in olive oil.
•Add remaining ingredients and enough water to cover, plus 1 inch.
•Stir to mix with a wooden spoon.
•Bring to a rolling boil and immediately reduce heat to low.
•Cover and simmer for 3-4 hours without stirring, until only a sauce remains.
Yield: serves 4-5
Copyright 2001© 2011© The Gutsy Gourmet® - All rights reserved