Crunchy on the outside and creamy on the inside
These should always be served hot from the skillet, to experience the creaminess of the potato.
RECIPE PRINTED FROM: THEGUTSYGOURMET.NET©
INGREDIENTS: 6 - 8
✹ 4 good sized potatoes (Maris Piper or King Edward)
✹ 3 Tablespoon(s) Olive Oil
✹ 4 Tablespoon(s) butter
✹ 2 sprigs of thyme
✹ Sea salt and pepper to season
✹ 1 cup chicken stock (I use 1 Knorr chicken stock cube dissolved in water )
✚Pre-heat oven to 400ºF
1. Peel the potatoes and slice the sides off to flatten. (Peel and trim to a potato-long round cylinder with a flat top & bottom). I use the potato peeler to shave the sides into the cylinder after
roughing the shape out with a sharp paring knife. The cylinders flat top and bottom keep browning confined to the top and bottom only. Each cylinder when completed and cut in lengths,
should end up about 2 ½ inches long and 1½ inches in diameter. Make soup or a vegetable broth with the trimmings, or discard.
2. Season the potatoes and heat the olive oil in a frying pan just big enough to take all the cylinders. (Probably no more than 6 - 8 total.)
3. When the oil is hot, add the potatoes on their ends and cook for a couple of minutes before turning. They should be nicely browned on the one side and lightly browned on the other.
4. With a paper towel, gently wipe the pan, absorbing up the extra oil in the pan and discard the towel.
5. Making sure the more browned end is facing up, add the thyme sprigs and the butter.
6. Leave to cook for about 5 minutes over a medium/low heat. The butter will foam nicely.
7. Add the chicken stock, carefully so you don't get spattered by the hot butter. Only add enough chicken stock so it only comes half way up the potatoes.
8. Place the frying pan into your Pre-heated oven for about 15 to 20 minutes. Now the potatoes will have soaked up the stock.
9. Make sure they're cooked through and serve straight away with whatever you fancy. A nice steak would be good.
10. Serve immediately as a side. Is best served hot.
Copyright 2001© - 2014© The Gutsy Gourmet® - All rights reserved