EGGS FLORENTINE WITH CANADIAN BACON AND POTATO-CORN CAKES
A healthful breakfast with all the pizzaz to brighten any brunch.
If you are going thru the trouble of making breakfast/brunch, it might as well look like this!
RECIPE PRINTED FROM: THEGUTSYGOURMET.NET©
INGREDIENTS: Serves 4
• 10 whole eggs
• 1/4 cup heavy cream
• 1/2 cup butter
• 2 cups fresh spinach, cut into 1/4" wide shreds
• 8 slices Canadian bacon
• 8 Potato-corn patties recipe below
1. Coat a skillet or griddle with cooking spray and brown Canadian bacon over medium-high heat.
2. Meanwhile, whisk together eggs and cream until blended.
3. In another skillet add the butter with heat on medium, add spinach strips and cook just until wilted
(approx. 1-2 min.). Lower heat and add the eggs. Cook, stirring occasionally, until eggs are set.
Do not brown the eggs. Keep the heat low enough just to set the eggs. Salt and pepper to taste.
4. Assemble 4 breakfast stacks in this order: potato-corn patties on the bottom, 2 slices Canadian
bacon on top of the patties, 1/4 of scrambled egg mixture on top of the Canadian bacon.
INGREDIENTS: Serves 4-6
• 8 small potatoes, peeled and quartered
• 1/4 c. whole or skim milk
• 1 large egg white
• salt and pepper to taste
• 1/2 c. fresh or frozen corn kernels
• 2 green onions, including tops, finely chopped
• 1 pickled jalapeño, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
• 2 TB flour
• 1 TB unsalted butter
How to make them:
1. In a large saucepan of boiling unsalted water, cook the potatoes, covered over moderately high heat
until tender., drain well.
2. In a large bowl, using a food mill, electrix mixer or masher, puree the potatoes. (Do not use a food
processor or they will be gummy) Blend in milk, egg white, salt and pepper, then fold in the corn, green
onions, and jalapeño pepper. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until stiff enough to be shaped.
3. Preheat oven to 300 degrees (this is only to keep completed patties warm while cooking remainder)
4. Shape a generous 1/2 cup of the potato mixture into a disc 3" in diameter and 1/2 " thick. Repeat
until you have 8 patties.
5. Dredge each pattie in the flour and shake off the excess. In a 10" nonstick skillet, melt 1 1/2 tsp. of
the butter over moderate heat. Cook 4 patties for 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
6. Transfer to a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven. Repeat with the remaining 4 patties and 1
1/2 tsp. of the butter.
COOKS NOTE* Garnish your plates with pickled jalapeño rings or sweet pickled cherry peppers.
Copyright 2001© - 2011© The Gutsy Gourmet® - All rights reserved