To print this page, use your browser's print button, or use the copy/paste/print method.
ROASTED EGGPLANT, ROASTED VEGETABLES AND FETA CHEESE ROLLED IN PHYLLO DOUGH
A vegetarian (plus dairy) finger food that is sure to please
A Mediterranean and Middle Eastern style delicacy.
Vegetables, fire-roasted or roasted in the oven and oozing with melted feta cheese...what's not to like?
RECIPE PRINTED FROM: THEGUTSYGOURMET.NET©
INGREDIENTS: Serves 6-8
• 2 large, whole eggplant, Sliced lengthwise into 1/4 - 1/2 inch slices
• 5 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 large sweet onion, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch rounds, fire or oven roasted
• 1 large red bell pepper fire or oven roasted
• 1 head garlic, oven roasted **
• 2-3 Jalapeño peppers, fire or oven roasted**
• 1 tablespoon ground cumin
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
• 1 package phyllo dough, defrosted according to package directions
• 1 cube melted unsalted butter
1. Slice the eggplant and brush slices liberally with olive oil (both sides)
2. Brush the garlic with oil and oven roast according to directions**
3. Brush the onions, jalapeño peppers and red bell peppers with oil
4. Roast on grill or in the oven until eggplant and onions have good grill marks and the peppers
have very charred skins
5. Let all the roasted vegetables cool, salt and pepper to taste. Peel the charred skin from the
peppers. dice the peppers, onions, mint and basil and toss with the cumin and lemon juice
and any juices from the roasted vegetables.
6. Lay out the roasted eggplant strips and distribute the diced roasted vegetables over each strip of
7. Using 3 phyllo pastry leaves at a time, brush each leaf very lightly with melted butter and layer the
sheets together. Cut the stack in half. Place eggplant strips covered with the diced vegetables on the
layered phyllo sheets. Place in the center of each stack, so the phyllo can be rolled around it to form a
cigar or torpedo shape.
8. Sprinkle the feta cheese over your vegetable stack and roll the phyllo tightly, crimping the ends shut
to seal in the filling. Repeat until all of the eggplant has been used. This will yield approximately 10 to
12 eggplant roll-ups. At this point, they can be held for up to 2 days, covered and refrigerated or
9. To cook the roll-ups, brush with melted butter or Ghee (clarified butter) and lay them on a non-stick
baking pan, and bake in a 375º degree oven until golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes. Serve hot or
**See the vegetable section for the roasting of vegetables. Detailed instructions!
COOKS NOTE* The vegetables can be fire-roasted on a grill, or roasted in the oven. The
grill gives them another layer of flavor that the oven does not.
Copyright 2001© - 2011© The Gutsy Gourmet® - All rights reserved