SPICY COCONUT CHICKEN WINGS
INGREDIENTS: SERVES 6
● 3 lb. chicken wings, dis-jointed with wing tips reserved for stock
● ¼ Cup(s) Macadamia nuts
● ½ Cup(s) yellow onion, chopped
● 4 cloves garlic, minced
● 1 Teaspoon(s) coriander, ground
● Teaspoon(s) grated ginge-root
● ½ Teaspoon(s) cumin, ground
● ¼ Teaspoon(s) turmeric, ground
● 2 Thai bird chiles, red or green, cut into rings for garnish
● cilantro (optional, garnish)
● ¼ Cup(s) peanut oil for skillet
● ¼ Teaspoon(s) lemongrass, finely snipped, dried
● 1 Teaspoon(s) lemon peel, finely shredded
● 2 Cup(s) coconut milk (see recipe) or use canned
● 1 Teaspoon(s) honey
● ¼ Teaspoon(s) sea salt
● ¼ to ½ Teaspoon(s) Sriracha hot sauce
● 1 Tablespoon(s) tamarind paste
● 1 Tablespoon(s) water
1. In a large skillet brown chicken pieces on both sides for 15 minutes; remove from skillet. Set chicken aside,
reserving 1 tablespoon drippings.
2. Place nuts in blender; cover and blend until finely ground.
3. In the skillet, cook onion, garlic, coriander, ginger, cumin, turmeric, lemongrass and zest until onion is tender,
but not brown.
4. Stir into the skillet, the ground nuts, coconut milk, honey, tamarind, water, salt and red Sriracha pepper sauce .
5. Gently boil the sauce until thickened
✚ Preheat oven to 350℉
6. In a large baking pan lined with aluminum foil, place the browned chicken wings in one layer.
7. Add the sauce from the skillet**SEE COOK'S NOTE** to the layer of chicken in the baking pan and bake in a 350℉ oven until the
sauce in the baking pan is very thick and the wings are glazed over with the sauce.
8. Remove wings from the oven and cool to near room temperature and serve with garnishes.
You can strain the sauce if you like, prior to basting the chicken wings.
RECIPE - COCONUT MILK:
● Stir together 1 1/2 cups packaged, grated, unsweetened coconut
● 2 cups boiling water.
1. Let stand 5 minutes. Place in blender, cover and blend 1 minute.
2. Transfer mixture to a cheesecloth-lined sieve. Press mixture, squeezing out as much liquid as possible.
3. Store in tightly covered jar in refrigerator.
4. Makes about 1 1/2 cups milk.