To print this page, use your browser's print button, or use the copy/paste/print method.
FRIED CATFISH SANDWICH WITH HOMEMADE DILL TARTAR SAUCE
I had never seen catfish sandwiches for sale on the street here in the Northwest. Usually it is clams, salmon or crab that is what's happening.
While I was in Portland, Oregon I had just left a Physicians visit and happened upon a real street food push cart near Portland State U. To my surprise, this guy Timmy was selling fried catfish sandwiches out of a real pushcart. It was a damp, cool and cloudy day, but that catfish sandwich was calling out to me and I wasn't disappointed. If Timmy is still there and you are in Portland, give it a try. If not, try the recipe below.
RECIPE PRINTED FROM: THEGUTSYGOURMET.NET©
INGREDIENTS: Makes 4 - 6 Servings
• 2 lbs catfish nuggets (1½ x 1½ x ½ or fillets cut into 1½ inch wide strips
• 1 cup yellow corn meal
• ⅔ cup crushed Panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
• 2 teaspoons salt
• 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
• ½ tsp cayenne pepper or to taste
DIRECTIONS: Makes 4 - 6 Servings
1. Pour enough oil into a large heavy skillet (cast-iron is best) so it is about ¼ inch deep. Heat oil
to very hot, but not smoking. **SEE COOK'S NOTES**
2. Rinse catfish in cold water. If using fillets, cut them into pieces. Put cornmeal, Panko,
salt, pepper and cayenne into a thick brown paper bag. Drop filet strips into bag and shake
until well coated. Shake off excess.
3. Carefully place catfish pieces in the oil. Fry in batches in a single layer so you don't crowd
them. Cook until golden brown; about 2 minutes on each side. Drain on brown paper bag
or Viva® paper towels.
4. Serve on a toasted bun with homemade tartar sauce (Recipe Follows).
Homemade Tartar Sauce:
• 1 cup mayonnaise
• 3 teaspoons pickle relish
• 3 teaspoons fresh dill weed
• ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste
• ½ teaspoon ground cumin seed
Smoking hot oil will give the fish a burnt taste. You just want the filets a golden brown. Too cool
an oil will leave them too oily.
Copyright 2001© - 2011© The Gutsy Gourmet® - All rights reserved