To print this page, use your browser's print button, or use the copy/paste/print method.
CALAMARI ALLA CATANIA
Calamari tubes stuffed with herbs, sun-dried tomatoes sauteéd in a tomato sauce.
Catania is on the East Coast of Sicily and is known as the "City Of Lace". Lace making is the primary industry of Catania. It is a Port O' Call for cruise ships and is a bustling city noted for Sicilian cooking at it's best.
RECIPE PRINTED FROM: THEGUTSYGOURMET.NET©
INGREDIENTS: SERVES 4 OR 8
● 8 large whole calamari
● 4 tablespoon(s) extra virgin olive oil
● 1 pound fresh peas, shelled to yield ¾ cup, blanched and refreshed
● 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
● 8 anchovy fillets in oil, chopped
● ½ cup sundried tomatoes, soaked 1/2 hour in warm water
● 1½ cups fresh breadcrumbs
● 1 bunch Italian parsley, finely chopped to yield ¼ cup
● 2 tablespoons fresh basil chiffonade
● 1½ cups dry white wine
● 1 cup tomato sauce
● Small handful parsley, finely chopped, leaves only for garnish
● 16 pitted black or Kalamata olives, for garnish and during cooking
● 3 tablespoons grated or shaved Parmesano Reggiano cheese for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Clean the calamari. Remove the tentacles and fins, finely chop them and set aside. Remove
insides of the tubes and wash out thourohly.
3. In a 12 to 14-inch sauté pan, heat oil until smoking. Add calamari tentacle and fin pieces and
cook until opaque ( no longer than 2 minutes).
4. Add peas, garlic, anchovies, sun-dried tomatoes, and basil and stir through, about 1 minute.
5. Add bread crumbs and stir to coat.
6. Season with salt and pepper and add parsley. Allow mixture to cool.
7. Stuff bread mixture into each calamari until ¾ full and place in a 12 by 8-inch earthen-ware
dish (just large enough to hold calamari and sauce).
8. Add wine, olives and tomato sauce and stir to settle.
9. Place in oven and bake 35 minutes.
10. Garnish with parsley and Parmesano Reggiano and serve
Copyright 2001© - 2012© The Gutsy Gourmet® - All rights reserved