BUBBLE AND SQUEAK - WHAT THE BRITISH DO WITH LEFT OVERS.
A simple, yet nutritious dish, that under different names is a favorite throughout the British Isles.
A basic cabbage, potato, and onion dish that will accommodate almost any left-over hanging out in the refrigerator. Almost any left-over meat will be a fitting ingredient, be it beef, pork, chicken, turkey or any sausages made from there of. Add some green peas, green beans, carrots or celery for color and viola! it is dinner time.
RECIPE PRINTED FROM: THEGUTSYGOURMET.NET©
INGREDIENTS: Serves 4
• 4 Potatoes, peeled, cooked and mashed roughly. Yukon Gold or Red are best
• Cabbage, cooked and chopped, 1 small head of red green or both
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• 3 to 4 tablespoons, Butter, oil or bacon fat,
• 1 large Onion, sliced ¼ - ½ inch slice.
• 1 cup frozen green peas (optional)
1. Mix the potatoes and cabbage together in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
2. Heat the butter or oil in a heavy skillet over medium flame. Sauté the onion until
translucent and then to a golden brown (about 10 minutes).
3. Stir in the potato-cabbage mixture and press down into the skillet. Reduce heat to medium
and cook undisturbed until the bottom is browned, about 10 minutes. Then turn potatoes to
to brown on the other side.
4. Add green peas, left over green beans, carrots or other colorful veggie hanging out in the fridge.
5. Serve hot with bacon and eggs•• or with cold, sliced roast beef as part of a Monday evening
• Add diced roast beef, ham or chopped sausages to the potato-cabbage mixture.
• Often Brussels sprouts are used instead of cabbage.
• Bubble and squeak can be baked in the oven. Just sauté the onions in 2 tablespoons of butter,
oil or bacon fat. Mix with the potato-cabbage mixture and press into a baking dish. Bake in a
350ºF until browned on top, 20-25 minutes.
If you use an egg or two, fry or poach them and serve right on top of the whole thing so the yolk runs
down through the bubble and squeak.
Copyright 2001© - 2011© The Gutsy Gourmet® - All rights reserved