To print this page, use your browser's print button, or use the copy/paste/print method.
Your basic brown stock for soups stews and gravies.
RECIPE PRINTED FROM: THEGUTSYGOURMET.NET©
INGREDIENTS: Makes about 1 gallon
⚫ 7 pounds beef marrow bones sawed into 2-inch pieces
⚫ 8 ounces tomato paste
⚫ 2 cups chopped onions
⚫ 1 cup chopped carrot
⚫ 1 cup chopped celery
⚫ 2 cups dry red wine
⚫ 1 bouquet garni
⚫ Salt and pepper
8 quarts of water
1. Preheat the oven to 450°F.
2. Place the bones in a roasting pan and roast for 1 hour.
3. Remove the bones from the oven and brush with the tomato paste.
4. In a mixing bowl, combine the onions, carrots, and celery together. Lay the vegetables over the bones
and return to the oven. Roast for 30 minutes.
5. Remove from the oven and drain off any fat. Place the roasting pan over the stove and deglaze the pan
with the red wine, using a wooden spoon, scraping the bottom of the pan for browned particles. Put
everything into a large stockpot.
6. Add the bouquet garni and season with salt. Add the water. Bring the liquid up to a boil and reduce to
a simmer. Simmer the stock for 4 hours, skimming regularly. Remove from the heat and strain through
a China cap.
Copyright 2001© - 2012© The Gutsy Gourmet® - All rights reserved