SAUERBRATEN - GERMAN POT ROAST
A sweet and sour roast that is tender and delicious.
Serve it up with red cabbage, onions and potatoes or spaetzel
RECIPE PRINTED FROM: THEGUTSYGOURMET.NET©
INGREDIENTS FOR LARDING:
6 ounces larding pork, cut into ½ inch strips
⚫ ⅔ cup minced onion
⚫ 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
⚫ ½ teaspoon allspice
Salt and pepper
3½ to 4 pounds top round roast
INGREDIENTS FOR MARINADE:
● 3 cups dry red wine
● 1½ cups water
● 2 tablespoons lemon juice
● 1 cup minced onion
● 12 peppercorns
● 2 bay leaves
● 6 cloves
● Flour, for dredging meat
● 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
● 2 tablespoons butter
● 2 carrots, sliced thin
2 large onions, sliced thin
● 2 tablespoons tomato paste
● 2 tablespoons sugar
● ¼ cup seedless raisins
● 6 gingersnaps or pfeffernuse, crumbled
● 3 tablespoons flour
DIRECTIONS FOR LARDING:
1. Toss larding pork with onion, lemon rind, allspice and salt and pepper. Cut deep incisions into meat with
larding needle, press some of pork and onion mixture into needle and insert into meat. Continue to lard
meat in the same manner until all larding pork is used. Rub remaining onion mixture over meat.
DIRECTIONS FOR MARINADE:
1. Bring all ingredients to a rapid boil in a heavy saucepan and simmer 5 minutes.
2. Place meat in large heatproof, nonmetallic bowl. Pour in hot marinade, cool to room temperature
and chill, covered, 4 days, turning meat twice a day.
3. Remove meat from marinade and pat dry. Strain marinade, reserving liquid and solids.
4. Dredge meat in flour and season with salt and pepper. In large casserole heat vegetable oil over
moderate heat until hot. Add beef and brown on all sides, 8 to 10 minutes.
5. Transfer meat to platter and discard drippings from casserole. Add butter and heat until hot. Add
carrots, onions, reserved marinade solids and cook, stirring often, 5 minutes.
6. Return meat to casserole, add marinade and tomato paste. Bring to a boil and simmer, covered with
foil and the lid, for 3½ to 4 hours, or until tender.
7. Remove meat to platter and cover loosely with foil.
8. Skim cooking liquid and strain, discarding solids.
9. Return marinade to casserole, add sugar, raisins and gingersnaps and simmer 5 minutes. In a small bowl
whisk flour with ⅓ cup water. Whisk into simmering liquid and simmer until lightly thickened.
DIRECTIONS TO SERVE:
1. Slice meat across grain, arrange on platter, overlapping slices slightly and nap with some of gravy. Pass
remaining gravy separately.
2. Serve with Spaetzle and Red Cabbage.
Copyright 2001© - 2011© The Gutsy Gourmet® - All rights reserved