BLOOMIN' SWEET ONION
Great snack or side dish - Great for parties or watching the game on the tube..
Seems like it is a little complicated at first sight, but once you get organized its a great snack.
RECIPE PRINTED FROM: THEGUTSYGOURMET.NETฉ
BLOOMIN' SWEET ONION
✹INGREDIENTS: Makes 4 servings
FOR THE DIP
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons sour cream
1 1/2 teaspoons ketchup
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon drained horseradish
1/4 teaspoon paprika
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Combine all of the dip ingredients in a bowl, cover and refrigerate.
FOR THE ONION
1 large sweet onion, such as Vidalia, Walla Walla, Hermiston, Maui or Texas Sweet (about 1 pound)
HOW TO PREPARE THE ONION
1. Cut off 1/2 inch from the TOP end of the onion, then peel.
2. Place the onion cut-side down. Cut the root side just enough to remove any fine roots and to make the bottom flat and stable. (About ⅛ to ผ inch).
3. Now put the top side down and starting 1/2 inch from the root end, make a downward cut all the way through to the board.
Turn the onion around 180 degrees and make the same cut on the opposite side.
Turn the onion around 90 degrees and make the third cut
Turn the onion around 180 degrees and make the fourth cut.
Your onion should now be cut in quarters, yet held together firmly by the ฝ inch of root end
4.Repeat to make sixteen evenly spaced cuts around the onion. Keep cutting in the same method until you have the onion cut into 16 cuts,
yet still held together by the root end.
5. Gently turn the onion over onto the root end, and gently open the outer leaves, and toward the center of the cut onion as best you can
without breaking everything up.
FOR THE FLOUR DUSTING
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons paprika
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Freshly ground black pepper
FOR THE BATTER
2 large eggs
1 cup whole milk
FOR THE FRYING
1 gallon soy or corn oil
1. Combine all of the dip ingredients in a bowl, cover and refrigerate.
2. Slice the onion (see below). Whisk the flour, cayenne, paprika, thyme, oregano, cumin and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper in a bowl. In a small
deep bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and 1 cup water.
3. Place the onion in a separate bowl, cut-side up, and pour all of the flour mixture on top. Cover the bowl with a plate, then shake back and
forth to distribute the flour. Check to make sure the onion is fully coated, especially between the "petals." Lift the onion by the core, turn over
and pat off the excess flour; reserve the bowl of flour.
4. Using a slotted spoon, fully submerge the onion in the egg mixture (spoon on top, if necessary). Remove and let the excess egg drip off, then
repeat the flouring process. Refrigerate the onion while you heat the oil.
5. Heat the oil in a large deep pot over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 400บF. Pat off excess flour from the onion.
Using a wire skimmer, carefully lower the onion into the oil, cut-side down. Adjust the heat so the oil temperature stays close to 350บF.
Fry about 3 minutes, then turn the onion over and cook until golden, about 3 more minutes; drain on paper towels. Season with salt and
serve with the dip.
HOW TO SLICE THE BLOOMING ONION
1. Cut off 1/2 inch from the pointy stem end of the onion, then peel.
2. Place the onion cut-side down. Starting 1/2 inch from the root, make a downward cut all the way through to the board.
3. Repeat to make four evenly spaced cuts around the onion.
4. Continue slicing between each section until you have 16 evenly spaced cuts.
5. Turn the onion over and use your fingers to gently separate the outer pieces.
Copyright 2001ฉ - 2014ฉ The Gutsy Gourmetฎ - All rights reserved