BABA GANOUSH, THE QUINTESSENTIAL APPETIZER OF THE MEDITERRANEAN AND THE MIDDLE EAST
Roasted eggplant dip, Baba Ganoush, Khorvadzed Eggplant, call it what you like, but this is a great dip for any party.
Almost anywhere you go around the Mediterranean and the Middle East, you are going to find this dish in one form or another. It could be mixed with sesame paste (Tahini), tomatoes in one form or another, garlic, roasted or raw, onions and a variety of spices from cumin to harissa.
RECIPE PRINTED FROM: THEGUTSYGOURMET.NET©
INGREDIENTS: Serves 6 - 8
• 1 large head garlic, roasted** SEE COOK'S NOTES
• 3 large eggplants, whole with skin on
• 1 meduim Vidalia, red or other sweet onion, chopped
• 1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
• 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco Sauce, optional
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• 3- 6 tablespoons Tahini, (sesame seed paste) OPTIONAL
1. On a gas or preferably charcoal barbecue, roast the whole eggplant evenly on all sides until the skin
is charred or the eggplant is soft.
2. Set aside and let cool.
3. Peel off charred skin,or scoop out the soft insides of the eggplant and place in a large bowl.
4. Add Garlic, olive oil, onion, parsley, basil, Tahini if you are using it,Tabasco® Sauce, salt and
pepper to taste. The dip can be as smooth or lumpy as you like it, If you want it smooth, then
process it until the ingredients are paste like.
5. Serve as a canape', or serve with Pita crisp triangles, Armenian cracker bread, as a vegetable dip,
or as a vegetable side dish. Can be served hot or cold.
Peel outer skin layer from head of fresh garlic, leaving cloves and head intact.
Place head of garlic on a double thickness of foil; top with 1 teaspoon butter and a sprig of fresh
rosemary or oregano or 1/4 teaspoon dried. Fold up and seal. Bake in a 400º degree over for 55-60
minutes. Let cool to the touch.
Squeeze the now softened cloves from skins and set aside. Discard skins.
To get assistance on roasting fruits and vegetables, go here: Roasting Fruits & Vegetables
Copyright 2001© - 2011© The Gutsy Gourmet® - All rights reserved