To print this page, use your browser's print button, or use the copy/paste/print method.
ARABIC KNAFEH (KANAFEH) - BEST DESCRIBED AS ARABIC CHEESECAKE
Two cheeses, ricotta and mozarella sandwiched between layers of kataifi shredded phyllo dough. Finally drenched with a bright orange simple syrup.
This is a cheesy, oo-ee, goo-ee dessert that has a flavor that tells you immediately that the recipe is as ancient as the flavor is mysterious. You are not going to believe this came out of your kitchen.
ARABIC KNAFEH (KANAFEH)
RECIPE PRINTED FROM: THEGUTSYGOURMET.NET©
INGREDIENTS: SERVES 8 - 10
● 1 Package Kataifi, about 2 lbs.
● ½ pound butter, melted, 2 sticks
● 1 pound Ricotta cheese (preferably made from sheep's milk, if you can find it)
● ½ - 1 pound Mozzarella cheese (fresh if you can find it)
● 1 cup simple syrup
● Orange food coloring (optional)
● ⅓ cup roasted Pistachios, almonds, hazelnuts or walnuts (coarsely chopped) for topping.
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Butter the baking pan. I like a round pan about 9 inches in diameter and 2+ inches deep. Non-stick would be
3. In a large bowl gently loosen the (kataifi) knafeh dough. Mix very well with the ½ pound of melted butter by
rubbing the dough between your hands with the butter, adding it little by little. This process should take about
10 to 15 minutes.The dough should become fluffy and light, if you gather it with your hands and let go it should
retain its fullfy texture.
4. Cover the bottom of the pan with ¾ of the dough, press down lightly.
5. Add the Ricotta cheese evenly, then add the Mozarella (shredded) evenly over the the top of the Ricotta in a
layer of even thickness.
6. Now cover all with the remaining portion of the kataifi dough. Press down gently.
7. Bake until lightly golden, about 20- 25 minutes on a 350°F. If you shake the pan, it should be loose, the top
golden and the edges are brownish, this means that the Knafeh is done.
8. With oven mitts, I use "Ove Gloves" Turn the baking pan topside down on your serving plate and let the knafeh
sit on the plate bottom side up.
9.. Immediately pour cold simple syrup evenly over the hot Knafeh , sprinkle the Toasted nuts on top of it and serve
NOTE: ALTHOUGH NOT THE EXACT RECIPE PRESENTED, THE VIDEO BELOW MIGHT BE OF HELP TO YOU.
UTUBE VIDEO - HOW TO MAKE ARABIC KNAFEH
Copyright 2001© - 2012© The Gutsy Gourmet® - All rights reserved